Saturday, April 5, 2014

El Inka

On Friday 4/4/14, I visited El Inka for lunch, I went with a couple of my friends.  A few days ago I was telling them about the assignment to go to a restaurant of another culture and one of my friends, Lucia, immediately recommended El Inka.  El Inka is a Peruvian restaurant, the only one in Michigan actually.  Lucia is from Peru and told me all about the cuisine before we went, it sounded really good so I was pretty excited!  The restaurant was small inside and the atmosphere was cool, it definitely spoke Peru!  I was slightly taken aback by the menu because all of the headings were in Spanish so I was confused but Lucia and the waitress were helpful.  Unfortunately, with it being Lent and I went on a Friday, I could not eat anything that had meat in it, so this limited my choices even more...  I ended up deciding to order the papa a la huancaina, which was sliced steamed potatoes topped with huancaina cream, egg and an olive.  I love trying new foods and drinks, however I don't always enjoy what I try, that was the case at El Inka.  The food was prepared great and the prices were reasonable, but I do not think Peruvian food is for me.  I enjoy spice and the dish I ordered definitely had a kick which was nice, but it was also very salty which I didn't care for.  
Overall, I did really enjoy my experience at El Inka, the owners have done a nice job with this restaurant.  The owners ordered a rotisserie oven from Peru to specially cook their chicken, this ended up costing the family $18,000 because of shipping and delays!!  Also, they offer Inka Kola, which is a banana cream soda, and I was excited to try this drink but they did not have any when I went... :(  I might have to go back just to check that out!

4 comments:

  1. I really want to try this place out, from what I can tell Peruian food is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Banana cream soda? Uhh... Is that available in the United States because that sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always seen this restaurant but I never knew if it was good or not. Now that you've been there I would love to go there and try Peruvian food. I think I would really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been to Peru a couple of times and enjoyed several of their foods so I can't wait to try the restaurant, despite your warning...

    ReplyDelete