Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Five Quarters of the Orange

So as you can see I switched books...  I didn't initially want to because I had made it so far into The Physiology of Taste, however I now am very glad with my decision because although the other book was interesting, Five Quarters of the Orange is definitely a better choice for, not only the pace of this course but, keeping my interest for a long period of time.
Anyway, Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris is, so far, about a woman who has begun a new life back in her hometown owing a Crepe shop.  She is hiding her identity from the townspeople because she does not want them to realize her relation to her deceased mother.  The book hasn't gotten into much detail as of why except that her mothers reputation had been ruined.  I know, from research, that her mother was to blame for the death of a German soldier, Tomas Leibniz, and this caused a lot of havoc among the town.  
So as the main character, Framboise, aged she decided, especially after losing her husband, that she would return home and rebuild the house she once lived in.  This took a lot of time because it had been abandoned however she made it work and eventually started the crepe shop.  
When Framboise's mother passed away she was left with her album, which was basically a cookbook/diary.  This album was full of her mothers recipes along with random tidbits of information about the recipes as well as very random pieces of information about her mother and her life.  There were poems, words describing her current thoughts and atmosphere she was in, as well as thoughts about her family and previous life before kids.  
Framboise was thought to be the favorite child of her mothers, she had one sister and a brother.  Both her sister and brother had moved away after the death of their mother and the three siblings have very little contact, at least where I am in the book thus far.  Except, however, Framboise's brother, Cassis, has recently spent time with her because his son and daughter in law are very keen on obtaining recipes from Framboise for their restaurant in Paris.  Framboise is not a fan of this idea, only because she does not want the publicity, seeing as how she is hiding her identity and all.  
The book just started to bring the title into it where I have recently stopped reading.  I am very curious to continue to read because I would like to find out more about the background of the title, for it seems quite intriguing from what I just recently read.  I will save that information, however, for my next blog when I, myself, have a better understanding of what is going on!

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds interesting! Sounds like a good plot to make it an easy read. Can't wait to hear more about the title.

    ReplyDelete